6.16.2014

[Let's Talk] ASHLEY BROOKE


Hey everyone! Happy Monday!
I'd like to introduce a new series I am starting on my blog, called Let's Talk.
It's pretty simple, I feature a blogger, photographer, designer, and anyone in between, and ask them a few questions. The reason I am so excited, is because I have the perfect (and awesome) lady to kick it off. If you are someone who is on Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter, and reads blogs, you have definitely seen the sassy and cute mugs of Ashley Brooke Designs. Her products are adorable and practical, and I'm pretty much 100% sure I need everything in her store ;)
------------------------------------------------------


What inspired you to start Ashley Brooke Designs?
Honestly, it was an idea that was birthed out of necessity. I was laid off from my fancy interior design job when the market crashed and just decided that I need to do something and do something fast. No one was hiring for ANYTHING, so I decided to do my best to take control of the situation and start something. I put all my skills together with the resources I had and Ashley Brooke Designs was born. It’s been pretty crazy.
I didn’t have a business plan or an outline, I just asked a bazillion questions to anyone who would listen to me, read every business book I could get my hands on and hustled. I worked really hard and made lots of mistakes but every once in a while I would have a success and that is what kept me going. I have a fairly persistent personality, so I focused all my energy on that.


What did you major in in college?
I attended UCF Business School from 2005 to 2008, and also attended Seminole State College of Florida during the same period. I graduated from Seminole State College with an Associate of Science in interior design.

Is this your dream job?
Um, I love my job… but, I’m pretty sure I would really love Kelly Ripa’s job. Seriously, I can drink coffee and chat at 9 a.m. any day of the week!!


When did you know you wanted to start your own business?
My family is amazing, and lucky for me I grew up with parents who were and are still today successful, creative entrepreneurs. My parents run a high-end photography company, so I pretty much grew up in their studio playing with old negatives and watercolors… so I guess you could say I was destined to be some sort of entrepreneur--I didn’t really know there was any other option.


How would you describe your style in 3 words?
My style is preppy, girly, and classic… I don’t like to be any one of those things… I like when all three come together! Like a tutu and an oxford… the perfect match!


How would you describe your personality in 3 words?
Oh gosh… I don’t know! Loyal, generous, & always ready for a party! (Consider that one word!!)


Where is your favorite place to shop?
Oh gosh--so many! But I really love J. Crew (obviously, who doesn’t!?), Nordstrom, Annie Griffin, Lilly Pulitzer, GAP, Nine West (why are their 4” heels so comfy?!?!??), and Ann Taylor.


Favorite phone app and website?
I love PhotoGene. I edit most of my photographs on that app!
And I really like http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com! I love to cook and entertain, and so far I haven’t met one of their recipes I didn’t like!!


Where do you get your inspiration?
Truly? My everyday life. My life in general is a bit crazy, and so the sassiness and the touch of girly-snark just comes out and I realize, “Gosh! That would be cute on a mug!” I have stopped designing for what I think my clients might like and I’ve started designing for myself and things that I need… like a Happy Thoughts notepad!


What do you see for the future of Ashley Brooke Designs?
Oh wow! Well, a lady does not spill her secrets! What I can tell you? The next few years are looking very bright and very sassy!!
-------------------------------------------

Shop her adorable products here!




And stay tuned for [Let's Talk] in the upcoming weeks :)




No comments:

Post a Comment